Wednesday, January 08, 2014

What Is a Traditional Christmas Like?

Christmas was coming up and I had no plans. This would not do. I was rather used to doing the catering for the Irish’s holiday parties and this gave me a sense of purpose around a holiday that I otherwise loathed. I had spoken with several people about this and knew that I needed to make some kind of plan for Christmas or my headspace would be about as fucked as it comes. For New Year’s I had already made plans: since the Artist was coming to America, I figured I would see her for the holiday.

“But I’m going to be so busy,” she reminded me.

“I don’t get much time off; I’ll pop down and just come back up.”

“I'll be in Florida; I can’t come see you.”

“I’ll come to you.”

“For one day?”

“Sure, why not?”

I also knew the Artist would be flying through Chicago for Christmas and would have a layover here before heading on to Florida. Which lead to several conversations about how I should meet her in the airport on Christmas day.

“But it’s Christmas?! You should do whatever you have planned.”

“I don’t have plans.”

“You should!”

True enough. So I set out to make plans. Several discussions with the Boy finally resulted in a thought about having a traditional Chinese dinner.

“Is that traditional?” he asked.

“It’s what they do in The Christmas Story.”

“Sold.”

So we made a reservation to have duck at Sun-wah, the best Peking duck in Americavillle for Christmas day. Since I had been introduced to the duck place by the Electrician it would have been rude to go and not ask for Christmas company.

“Duck dinner on Christmas day; are you in?”

“Was that even a question?” responded the Electrician and so it was settled.


No comments: