Saturday, March 22, 2014

Chiditarod, Part II: In Memory of Sarah Elizabeth Jones

There were about twenty photographers out all together to catch the start of the race. I noticed one taking a picture of a name board by a case of makeup and inquired about the story. The name read Sarah Jones.

“Who is Sarah Jones?” I asked.

The board with her name was being propped up against a picture case, and the photographer had just snapped a picture of it and put it away.

“She was a camera assistant who died this summer.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. Did you work with her?”

“Yes.”

“How did it happen, if you don’t mind my asking. I mean, why are you taking the picture?”

“We have all been doing it, a lot of us. She was a makeup assistant, a good one. She was working on a film down in Georgia. They were on the tracks but someone didn’t get the proper permits. Eight people got injured and she died. We’ve been taking pictures of this for her all over.”

I asked if this was an event that she worked with him, but mostly she was a good makeup artist who died for stupid reasons because somebody was in too much of a rush to go through all the trouble to do the paperwork. He was a sweet cameraman, but I didn’t ask him to take his board back out just so I could take a picture.

Side Note: An internet search later and you can see some of the “In Memoria” pictures to Sarah Jones. Clearly she was a well-loved person.

The full story: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/midnight-rider-accident-sarah-jones-death-gregg-allman-685976

The photo project: http://bit.ly/1eROtYo

No comments: