Monday, April 14, 2014

Sugar, Oh, Honey Honey

The next day passed much as days at conferences do. Aside from the damnable cold that is California in the “winter”, which meant temperatures stayed in the low fifties and really, much chillier than I had packed for because I was anticipating something else. Theoretically I can’t blame California for this; however, I will blame California just fine.

After doing the things we were supposed to do we pinged the Balance and took some time to get his car and head down the road to a restaurant high atop a cliff overlooking the bay. The view was stunning, to say the least, and we all settled in and worked to order food.

“What do you want to eat?” asked the Balance as we sat at a table looking at menus.

A blonde perky waitress slid up to us and said, “My name is Sugar.”

I thought, Aren’t you just? “Give us a minute, won’t you?” I said out loud.

“Can I get you something to drink?”

“Oh, I’m very sure.”

After a moment of negotiating with the Balance, we ordered a bottle of pinot and Sugar sauntered away.

“Ms. Deville, you filthy whore.”

“What?!”

“Sugar.”

“It’s not like I did that on purpose.”

“No; I think by your mere presence here, you caused it to happen.” The Balance smiled.

I couldn't really argue with that.

No comments: