Saturday, May 09, 2015

Girls in Babeland

After paying for our dollhouse dinner, we stepped back into the cold and hoofed down the street for Babeland. Babeland is sort of a name among girls who like sex toys, being that they are sex positive, support some great sex-positive feminists, and have been supportive of educating women about masturbation, safe sex, and sex toys for a least 10 years or so. They were often a regular (and still occasionally appear) in Savage Love columns. All in all, I understood the point of Babeland, and was supportive of wanting to support the sex shop.

Unfortunately, the Babeland of the mid-aughts was not the Babeland of 2015. I recall being in the shop previously and it felt more spacious and lively and friendly. Babeland still had the space, but the shipmistress reeked of old punk and 30-year-old teenage angst that had been left out in the sun too long. The toy selection, while adequate, left something to be desired, and overall, I was not impressed. To the wandering traveler that is my Aritist, it was adequate enough for her to find a few things, though nothing impressed me enough to end up in my cart. Considering the cold and the trouble we had gone to for shopping I really was hoping for something more.

It was still a touch early.

“Would you like to try the Pleasure Chest?”

“We could, I found some of the things I was looking for here.”

“Trust me.”

For this we said fuck it and jumped into a cab to head back uptown toward the Pleasure Chest. I had visited the Chest a few months prior and had managed not to buy anything, though I had been thinking about things I should have bought since the visit, so I knew I would at least see a few things I might want to add to my own collection and match her modest purchases.


No comments: