Wednesday, May 06, 2015

See, Hear, Taste, Touch

We slept in a bit on Saturday and managed to do very little that was productive or useful, which was just the way it should have been. We slept and vacillated between the bed and the couches, lazing about like contended cats for most of the day.

It was too cold to go out, so we satisfied ourselves indoors.

Originally I think there may have been a plan to get food, but I’m sure this got forgotten in the general melee of trying to keep our hands off each other throughout the day. We failed miserably at it and only barely managed to get showered, dried, and presentable for leaving the house to go and see Hellion perform in his play on Valentine’s evening.

This required a trip to Brooklyn, which we managed to figure out how to do between the two of us even though it was a weekend and sometimes the trains can be strange. We snuggled into a car, pressed against each other, talking, thinking. I feel her next to me and think about our subway ride from the airport in Korea, how at home it felt to land in Incheon, just like landing in Chicago. The ride is full of diversity, the opposite of a Korean subway ride.

We manage to find the theater while dodging some snow and ice. I realize when we get there that I’m starving and at some point during the day we probably should have had some food instead of feasting only on each other. I don’t regret it, but the small little servings of pre-show hors d'oeuvres make me crazy. I stop eating, grab some wine and find us some seats. We check out the small side gallery to see what art is on display, but we do not see young Hellion. Not a surprise, as he is most likely backstage getting ready for the show.

We look resplendent together, I think as I look at her in her furs, with her tiara and the bun in her hair. I am wicked eyes, and chain necklaces and dark, a hard edge to her soft femininity. We are overdressed for the show and neither of us care. We dress as much for each other as to scandalize, and to amuse and distract the demon-child on the stage.


The show is a set of one-act plays which span across a theme of seeing, hearing, tasting and touching. With the theme, it’s a strange mix and only two of the plays seem to really go with the general thematic edge placed on the show. Hellion is fascinating as a dislikable paraplegic with a desire to gnash his teeth on blonde nurses, and looks completely flummoxed as the mark in a short play about gold-digging wives and down-and-out brothers. It was a fun show, sometimes odd in its collection, but all together interesting and engaging for a Valentine’s treat.

Afterward I run into a few people I’ve met on the scene, and meet one of Hellion’s friends as we wait for him to make his appearance from behind the curtain. He is greeting and thanking people, all Hellos and smiles generally working, which is something I understand all too well from my own work with people.

We finally all meet and collide over wine and decide to leave the fun, and the people, and the merrymaking and after parties in bars that Hellion can’t attend because he’s still only 20. Instead we decide to make our own party and pile into a cab, avoiding the ice, and snow, and cold, headed back to a small dog, open bottles, and my warm apartment.

No comments: