Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Amusments over Dinner

"Just thinking about this president makes me sick to my stomach."

"I know. I actually had to go to the news to figure out what was going on with the microwave thing."

"Do you know about the microwave thing?" This is one of my favorite dates. We have mutual interests and easy conversations. The conversations range over everything.

"Okay, okay, I can actually explain this," I say.

"What is the microwave thing. I kept having people all day show me all the memes, and they were funny but I didn't quite get it."

"Okay, you know Kelly Ann..."

"Yeah, yeah, I know who that is."

"Right, I hate listening to her talk." It's true. I hate listening to her talk, I hate the way she thinks. She is either an evil genius or a complete moron and I cannot decide where in between she actually falls. I find her evil and horrible and twelve shades of awful and sometimes I wonder why we have have been cursed with yet another horrible woman who seems to believe that any kind of interest by woman to have equality is somehow an assault on women's freedom. Feminism is uncomfortable, which is understandable, but a desire to be treated like a human, not an object, shouldn't be that hard to understand.

"Right, okay, so, you heard about the crazy person talking about everyone wire tapping him?"

"Yeah, I heard about that."

"Okay, well Kelly went around going that it wasn't a lie, just a misunderstanding. She went further to explain how Obama was using microwaves to spy on people."

"Seriously?"

"Yep."

We both giggle a bit at the ridiculousness of it. It is ridiculous. It's also frustrating and a distraction and a way to keep people from looking at the man behind the curtain and all the horrible things that are happening right now that are compounding my stress and my nightmares and my fears. We laugh and laugh because it is funny.

Sitting, laughing, I wonder how many were laughing in just the same way in the moments before Rome burned.

No comments: