Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Winner, Winner

Somehow I stumbled on a contest for free concert tickets so I entered the contest. Fully forgetting about it until a few weeks later when I get an email telling me I had won two free tickets to go see the artist Marco Benevento. Huzzah.

Only problem, I had never heard of the artist before and can't recall entering the contest, but eh, why not.

So I went and listened to some of Mr. Benevento's music.


Confirming the music was not just good, but also very much of my interest I now had only one problem to solve. I needed a date. I went to my go to music date for this one: the New Yorker. He and I had become good friends and doing random shows seemed to be a thing we were very into. So I asked him if he could join me and he said yes. I explained to him the basic outline of the events that unfolded and resulted in free tickets. He countered with meeting for lunch and drinks at a Korean place in town that had a very strange name, but was a very good place.

We ate Korean fried chicken and checked out the cute Korean waitresses as we ate. It was an amusing dinner. Neither of us knew what to expect for the show, but we got there early, and got seats on these big sofas as we waited. The lighting was interesting. The crowd was amusing. The New Yorker was buying drinks. Marco did not have an opening act, but he came out prepared to bring a circus level of amusement show. It was actually fantastic.

He music borders on being folky with a touch of alternative. But his energy on stage was absolufuckinglutely dynamic. Hands down he presented one of the best live shows I've ever seen and is someone that will certainly go on my concert watch list for the future. So thank you to whatever concert gods I pleased that allowed me to score some free tickets to the show.











No comments: