Thursday, July 03, 2008

I got Spuds McKenzie, Alex from Strolls

The Jogger comes over to my place and takes the dogs out for a walk. When she gets back she asks to stay for a bit and I'm happy to entertain her. So we talk about my place and I realize she's never seen it so I give her the short tour.

"Where's your T.V.?"

"Here."

I turn the T.V. on and it lights up and projects itself against the blank wall. A great space saving device. She's impressed and I'm amused as CSI is just coming on.

"Do you like CSI?" I ask.

"Who doesn't?"

So we sit down, I make some cheese and crackers and we enjoy our big screen murder mystery show. At one point on the show I swear one of the actors looks familiar.

"Is that Tone Loc?"

"Who?"

"He was a rapper, back when rap was still cool and fresh."

She stares at me.

"You know, he had a few hit songs."

"Never heard of him."

I feel like saying Funky Cold Medina but I'm also positive she would just look at me like I had lost my mind and started speaking in tongues. Granted the song was a huge hit back in 1989 when I was all of thirteen and before I was allowed to watch MTV. It played on the radio stations that I listened to on my 1976 transistor Sister with the dcell batteries plugged into it. I'd take the eight pound monster with me and go down by the bridge, hoist myself up under the train tracks and climb through the rusty iron bars until I reached the base of the track support overlooking the river. A good thirty food drop off the other side down to the rock crag below. I'd read by book, listen to music, and eat lunch if I'd packed anything. 13 was an okay year for escaping.

She never heard of Tone Loc. It's not like I was a big fan either, I just remember the younger more innocent time when rap wasn't offensive, it was just funny. I said to her...

"He was kinda popular around the time MC Hammer and Digital Underground."

She watched the T.V. show.

I grabbed a handful of crackers and stopped talking. And started to feel David Caruso old.

Childhood Classics


Funky Cold Medina



Humpty Dance



U Can't Touch This



Granted, even then, I did not understand Hammer Pants.

1 comment:

Zhi Zhi said...

you might have tried mentioning that he was also in Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.