Tuesday, July 08, 2008

You think you know hot...

You have no idea. Not until you have lived in Daegu. I'm not going to complain about the heat. There is no complaining. It is 8:30 in the morning and I've already taken off all my clothes and turned the fan on in the hopes that I'll stop sweating. Since it is failing to work I will soon turn on the air conditioner. In the summer I try to hold out on the air till after the gym.

Oh yes, apperently I'm completely insane. Not even the Koreans who usually go to the gym are going in this weather, but I've been there every day for the past two weeks. Granted I have to drink a freaking lot of water and since the gym does not have air conditioning I feel like I want to die if I get there past 10, but I usually manage it alright.

I was talking to the Rastafarian who lives in Daegu.

"So what do you think of the heat, Ms. Florida?" I ask.

"It's like the Devil opened the gates of hell and decided to air that place out over Daegu."

"Yeah, only worse."

Today it will get up to 33 but feel closer to 37 (that 103 for you Americans) with 90, let me repeat 90, percent humidity. It's monsoon season. So now we have all the humid but little of the rain. It might break into thunderstorms this afternoon but that will only make the humidity hit 100 percent.

If you leave your apartment and walk to the end of your block right now you will have sweat running off of places you didn't think could drip sweat. It's that hot.

I'm off to the gym.

4 comments:

GeologyJoe said...

Ummm, so your advice to tourists would be to wait unil monsoon season is over?

*noted*

Saradevil said...

Yeah basically between September and May it's pretty nice. Between June and August, not so much.

Jill/Twipply Skwood said...

It's only 85 here at 9:30 in the morning. I feel like it's been an exceptionally cool summer here...

September to May is ok for visiting Korea...good to know! :-)

Bohemian in Korea said...

As both The Bohemian and I have spent more than a few days in hell ( that being a thoughtful adolescence in a rural abode with fundamentalist parents) we agree that the smell of sulfur is in the air. But as Sidney Freedman from 'MASH'says "Ladies and gentleman take my advice just pull down your pants and slide on the ice."