Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yes. We. Did.

I had to work today when all I wanted to do was stay home.So it was that I was working at a student open lounge when at 1:00 this afternoon. I'd put a CNN live feed up on the screen but could get no sound.

There were no students when at the time when the announcement rolled across that CNN was calling it for Obama. There was no sound to hear when McCain stood up and conceded, and while he talked I had to try to pull my attention away to do the conversation thing that is my bread and butter. But all I could think about was that maybe it wasn't true.

I went to my last class and told my students. They had forgotten that I was from Chicago. Some thought Obama was from Canada.

Three hours later I walked in my door and turned on CNN, the first time all day I was able to watch election coverage with sound and start hearing what I had been seeing, making it real and tangible. I saw McCain standing and trying to be dignified while his supporters heckled and acted generally like spoiled children. I felt bad for him even as I appreciated what he had tried to do.

And finally, after a whole day of not being able to do anything but ride a charge of energy I got see Barack speak. And there I stood in my room, in front of my T.V. four hours after the election had been called, and almost three since he made his speech, I watch his face, listened to his words and I broke down and sobbed.

It still feels too good to be true.

At work one of the co-workers, a lovely teacher and, the only McCain supporter among us said as I walked to my last class "Oh, stop smiling, already." He was smiling too. "I know, I can't help it, I'm just so happy."

"You know, in all, it's okay. I understand. I'd be happy if it were my guy."

"I'm not sorry your guy lost, but you know, I just can't help being completely overjoyed my guy one."

"Today, I'm just happy it's over."

Today, I'm happy, elated, sad, confused, bewildered, and feeling oddly procreative.

But we did.

We Did.

"That's the genius of America: that America can change. Our union can be perfected. What we've already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow."

We did. Now, we have work to do.


No comments: