Sunday, December 13, 2009

Fine Dining

"Where do you want to eat?" I ask the Irish as we wander downtown in the middle of the week. Given that I have become used to a rather restricted diet I know the choices are more than a little limited, but I want to be accommodating when I can.

"You can't eat everywhere, so you pick a place." Responds the Irish. True, but I still get annoyed.

"Your day was longer, your choice."

"To be honest I want pasta."

"Uh, huh." I can't eat pasta.

"What about that pizzeria you've seen, we could check that out."

"That's true, I did want to check that out; let's go there. Besides we've been walking for the last hour and I had a heavy workout and no lunch. I slice of pizza should be all right." So we head toward the pizzeria. This particular place had caught my attention a few months ago when it opened. The reason for that being that it sported what looked to be a rather impressive stone oven, for honest-to-goodness wood firing, making what should be rather delicious pizza.

We headed in; the atmosphere was warm. While looking over the menu pizza and pasta was ordered, and I asked for a glass of red. Of course since I can't do anything easy I tried to determine if they served dry wine or sweet wine at the restaurant. I've discovered, much to my dismay, that for no good reason there is a surfeit of nasty sweet red wine in this country and it seems to be very popular. Most of the time, in most of the places I eat and order wine, I know I will get a nice dry red. However if I am going into a Korean fusion (which is pretty much anyplace that is a popular Korean restaurant that does Western food) the wine is questionable. However after much confusion among the waiters I finally just order and decide to take my changes. Surprisingly the wine is good, the pizza is amazing, and the Irish and I manage to get a fair bit of work done on the research we are doing together this semester. The pizza is a thin crust that I can eat, and the pasta, an olio with pepper, was lovely even though I only head a fork or two and left most to the Irish.

It is at this point, when we are languishing together in our happy sated-ness that we take some time to scope out the general decor and discuss the potential of this restaurant in the future.

"That pizza was really fantastic," says the Irish.

"Yeah, and the pasta was amazing."

"I think with some playing I could probably make that with a whole-wheat noodle so you could eat it."

"Worth a shot."

"This restaurant isn't bad. The oven really makes a difference."

"Yeah, shame about the name though."

"What?"

"The name." It is at this stage that I point to the wall behind the Irish which is embellished with a large clip art style decoration of a fire burning, and underneath of it proof that our job as English Language teachers is not quite yet done.


I point out some further wall art that demonstrates a either a lack of inspiration, understanding, or interest by whoever designed the restaurant.



"Yes, well," says the Irish "it is original."

"Yes."

"We shall just have to recommend the Your Text Here as widely as possible."

"Indeed."

We walk smiling and amused into the chilly evening, with the smell of pizza rising in steamy waves from our coats as we walk down the streets toward our homes.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm...I WANT!!! When I come up, we're hitting that place and the Pakistani place! :D YAY! Good food! Miss ya hon! I hope you had at least an ok time on the weekend! Keep smiling!
-trainee

Saradevil said...

Okay Trainee,

Send me an email because I cannot for the life of my place who you are....