Friday, March 04, 2011

Getting Back in the Saddle

It’s been a while.

I have a number of excuses, most of them lame. The real reason is simple. I seriously hurt myself last year unpacking the house. I thought it would be a great idea to paint the place in two days, then open 77 boxes by myself. All good ideas at the time.

The reality is that I injured myself by causing a pretty drastic repetitive strain injury. This would all be fine and good if my day job didn’t involve a lot of writing. Because it does, my hands have never really had time to heal properly. So when it comes to writing I focus on mostly what I need to write for money. Meaning that I have let this fall behind, and this is not desired.

In fact, I miss this writing. I need this writing. I need it for myself, to clear the air, to remember my life, to keep it from passing by. I’ve decided to get back into the habit of at least writing once a week, or whenever a fun story occurs.

Granted, this all reminds me of a favorite quote from one of my favorite people: “Only good girls keep diaries; bad girls don’t have time.” Ah Miss Tallulah Bankhead, you were a wonder. I am also a busy, busy girl. And, yes, a busy, bad girl; my legend will some day go down in infamy. At least I like to think so. But only if I can get myself back on the writing horse so that someone out there somewhere knows what my legend is.

As it were, there is much to come, some writing to be done just for me. Today I will hit Chicago for the first time in six months and I am very much looking forward to it. Following this will be my first trip to Chiditarod, a full concert schedule for the spring, possible new employment opportunities, much writing, hopefully a trip to see Cranes, learning how to drive again, and dogs.

I have much to do. I’m looking forward to writing about it again.

No comments: