Monday, May 23, 2011

Rapture Day

It amuses me just how much people got either worked up or amused about the impending (and now long past) Rapture Day. In case you are living in a cave you may not be aware that Harold Camping of Family Radio predicted that on May 21st, 2011 at six p.m. (apparently six p.m. as it rolled across the world) the Rapture would begin.

I first became aware of Rapture Day after hearing a story on NPR about believers who were giving up their lives and life savings to live as if they had only a few weeks left to live. On top of that there were a lot of people who were apparently taking it upon themselves to stand on street corners, or go around on the internet in a mission to let the world know that the Rapture was coming.

This all seemed pretty ridiculous to me when I first heard it. Especially since the predictor in question had predicted the same thing in 1994 with similar results. While hanging out with the Bard and the Balance we discussed the impending rapture. The Balance lamented that there was not enough time to set up the largest flash mob prank in history.

“We get some colleges on board, like four of them, and have all the students just quietly go to Canada on Saturday.” The Balance said.

We all had a good laugh.

As it were, a few minutes before the Rapture was to hit I was arriving at the Bard’s. As I walked in I noticed a family with some younger children playing and working outside; one of the adults was planting flowers. There was two young girls, both blonde haired, both the most perfect representations of why people like having little girls. They were adorable and very much interested in running around in their sun shirts and shorts, playing with each other as one of the adults sang and planted flowers.

I went into the apartment and put my things down and spoke with the Bard, who was finally overcoming a rather sudden onset of bad-tooth syndrome. As we discussed I went to the window to look down on the children. The Rapture was a mere ten minutes away, were it to arrive as scheduled. From downstairs the gentleman who was working started to sing “It’s the End of the World as we Know It.”

“Those kids are too cute,” I mentioned to the Bard.

“That whole family is cute. You know they were playing “I am the Rapture” earlier?”

“They were what?”

The Bard explained. “Someone must have scared the girls, or maybe it’s just all this crazy media about the Rapture. So they were playing a game. The father would sneak up on the girls and start chanting “I am the Rapture and I’m coming to get you!” with his hands raised above his head. Then he started to chase the girls. They would scream and run and start giggling until he caught someone and then they would start again.”

“'I am the Rapture'? “Seriously?”

“Yep, all day.”

At 6:00 p.m. I had a glass of wine and enjoyed the setting sun on the city of Chicago. The Bard and I talked as I got ready to go out to dinner. From the window we could hear the amused refrain ‘I am the Rapture, and I’m coming to get you’ followed by shrill screams and giggles. The end of the world had come and gone, but hopefully the game would live on.

1 comment:

linda said...

Good stuff. Really good stuff.