Thursday, December 15, 2011

Take Off

A road trip later and I was back in Chicago. I barely touched the ground, had some Greek food, and saw the Balance with a small contingent of house guests before I headed back on my way to Korea.

It does sound rushed; it is. It felt like a blur and during it I had no time to think about much anything at all. I was getting my bags packed at the very, very last minute and trying to figure out the best way to get to my plane and to get back on the ground in Korea.


It seemed like after all this time getting on a plane and taking off should be the most uneventful thing in the world, but it still, after all this time, amused some part of me. Ten years ago I got on a plane for the first time, and now getting on a plane to head to Korea was just the most normal thing in the world. The seats were comfy enough, and while I was supposed to bring my dog, alas, the monkey decided to come down with the kind of cold that would not pass quarantine so I could not bring him back on this trip. He shall visit a vet again soon, and should be all clear to return to the ROK in late December. This is a day that I am much looking forward to; the munchkin is missed.

As it was, since I did not have my dog, it seemed that the airline decided that I would be a good choice to sit with a dog owner who was flying with her pet on the trip. The very polite Korean girl had a three-year-old miniature poodle in the case under her seat, and he was a rambunctious dog. What he wanted, more than anything else, was to be in her lap. And he was more than happy to bark to make that happen.

The girl very politely kept apologizing for the barking dog. The dog kept barking, escaping from his crate and crawling up to her legs. This went on for about five minutes before she finally just put the dog in her lap.

“The stewardess will want him in the case for take off.”

“Oh, yes, of course, for take off.”

That dog never went back in the case. He did stay warm and snuggly on the flight, did not bark or make a stir aside from a bit of snoring, and everyone seemed happy to ignore his presence.

I landed in Korea feeling both happy to be back with a sense of homecoming, and sad, with an odd wave of homesickness that has yet to shake me.

I kept reminding myself the monkey would be coming soon.

No comments: