Thursday, April 12, 2012

Music and a Drive

I spent a lot of time traveling back and forth between cities in Korea as part of my job. This was part of the consequence of being successful at what I do. I met my business partner in the train station in another city and we walked and talked about what was going on, what I was going to do, and what needed to be done today as we headed out to his car.

Sometimes he drove us in the Car (SUV, big black, comfy) and sometimes it was an actual car, depending on whether or not Son Number 1 had borrowed the vehicle for the day. More often then not when we got into the car we just drove to where we were going, talked, discussed the ins and outs of the business and prepared for the meeting/event/presentation, that I had traveled in for. It was usually some kind of precursor to a day of working on other things that I didn't necessarily want to work on, ending in dinner and a bottle of vino before heading home.

This day I got into the car, and instead of the silence I usually expected and the conversation there was actually something playing on the radio. I'm a crazy music person but I had not expected to hear music coming out of the Man's radio.

And all I could do was sit and listen.

I felt tendrils of recognition as I was hearing it, but at the same time it was like a vague memory of something, maybe barbecues and Monolycus singing along. Maybe it reminded me of notes of my father rocking out a long time ago. It was music of memory, music that just took you right back into it and you couldn't help but to be locked for a moment in a time warp of reflection and childhood and feelings. It was intense and I couldn't really make out exactly what it was, but the experience stopped me for a second until I finally managed to bring myself to snap out of it and speak.

"Dude, what is that?" was all I could think to say.

And the Man, as he slid the car onto the road, just leaned back into his chair and replied with a smile full of nostalgia: "That's Don Henley man."
The music played for the rest of the ride and we didn't say a word until we got to where we were going.

No comments: