Thursday, October 11, 2012

On the Ground at the Bookfair in Germany

Imagine the biggest bookstore you have ever been to. Multiply that by about 400 and add a few hundred for good measure. That will give you an idea of just how big the Frankfurt Bookfair is. It spanned eleven different buildings, had its own shuttle buses between halls, and was attended by something like a hundred thousand people. It was a mover-and-shaker thing.

I had absolutely no idea what I was doing there.

The problem was twofold: first, I really needed to be looking for things for the work project that I was working on, but what kept happening was I kept finding books that I would generally want to be reading. Like the 3d holographic scan that turned your iPad into a live-action sex book. (Why had this not been invented sooner?) They were using the same technology for education books, but who cares? You could scan a barcode on any literotica you chose to buy and watch a video of it happening? I liked my imagination, but I had to admit this had merit.

Then there was the Nick Cave biopic.

And the Bowie one.

OH MY GOD I found an entire FLOOR dedicated to comics and anime.

Why was I working?

Also, I discovered on Saturday there would be 12 hours of hobbit cosplay. And on Friday? 12 hours of steampunk.

All I could think to myself was “work is hard.”

Which was true.

No comments: