Thursday, October 18, 2012

When You Don't Have What You Need, Ask!

Here I was, in Germany, at 9 o'clock, discovering that downtown Germany just outside the train station was red light district central, and having the parting words of wisdom from my BizP rolling through my head.

“Be really careful about your bag outside of the fair. It’s pickpocket central out there.”

Now, it was 9 p.m. I was fed, paranoid as hell, and standing in the middle of the red light district, a short walk from the train station. I decide to call it a night and head back to the apartment, but not before stopping by the train station bottle shop to see about the wines. As I looked, the nice German clerk who had been watching me for a moment came up and started talking to me in German. I just smiled and said, “I’m looking for something in a red, Chilean or Australian.” Without missing a beat he switched to English and showed me an insanely reasonably priced Baron von Roschild cab, which I politely smiled about and explained, “I don’t have an opener.”

“It’s no problem. We open it for you here, okay?”

Thus began my deep-seated love affair with Germany. A country where they didn't judge you for not having a wine opener, they just opened the bottle and asked if you need nuts or chocolate. They didn't care if you need to have champagne with breakfast, or two glasses of wine to get the day started, they were pretty laid back about the whole drinking thing. Whatever you wanted: can we open that for you?

Germany, I love you.

I smiled and took my nice bottle of Baron and caught the train back to the apartel, where the BizP was happy to see me and still working on email. Since I was sleeping in what was basically the living room, I poured myself a glass, chatted a bit and tried to stay up to balance myself out, while ignoring the fact that I essentially had an expected curfew (which I don’t do well with). I managed to stay up until 10:30which was not late enough to say good morning to the Irishbefore passing out, asleep, day one complete.

No comments: