Friday, February 08, 2013

Camera Time

I needed a new camera. I needed to stop debating this and just get off of it and buy one. The problem was my stupid phone. The stupid phone made it far too easy to just decide that I didn't need a new camera, but the phone was not really adequate for my picture-taking needs.

I was going through tons and tons and tons of old photos and realizeed that since my old Cybershot died an untimely death in 2010 I had taken hardly any pictures at all really. I would take them with my phone, but it was not the same kind of day-to-day tracking I used to do with my camera. I was not nearly as happy with the resulting photos, either, and I just desperately wanted to be able to take pictures on something that was not my phone.

I remembered my first crappy phone camera. It took me forever to be able to get pictures off the damn thing, but once I had figured out how to download through the Bluetooth I managed to get quite a few of them off. However, the quality was always a bit grainy, and they were never great pictures, just good pictures for being on the run.

That was back in, what, 2003? People were so impressed with the iPhone came out because it would be this magic box that played music and took pictures and be connected to the internet. The iPhone came out in 2008 and it was the next big thing. I had a phone that could do all of that roughly five years earlier, and without half the hassle. As it was, the surge in innovative technology had at once both drastically increased my dependence on technological devices (my phone) and reduced my dependence (no more ebook reader, camera, or MP3 player; all hail the phone). Having a smartphone replace so many other independent items had its perks, but the drawbacks were momentous at the same time.

I seemed to get less done. I took part in less, I engaged in less. I was always connected but I felt so disjointed. The phone was fascinating in it's ability to make me efficient but I missed out on so much more. I just never seemed to find myself really being a part of the world around me. The phone had become the focus and central core of my waking day. Constantly in touch.

It was time to turn off, turn out, and turn away, I thought. To re-clutter my life with digital doodads that made me happy and gave me a better sense of engagement in reality. I wanted a new camera.

I wanted a new MP3 player, and ebook, and other things.

Consume.

Consume.

Consume.

I just missed the act of choosing, perhaps. It was not all that much consumerism; while I liked having things, mostly I just missed the act of stopping and focusing on just one thing. The phone distracted me; it was too easy to take a picture and then instantly switch over to log in to Facebook and post said picture.

I needed a new camera. I started taking recommendations.

No comments: