Friday, February 22, 2013

Where the Hell Are We Going to? Oh Well...

The cab was tight with all of us packed in. Between their Korean, the Editor and the Kiterunner got the driver to use the navigation to pull up the location of the show.

“It’s in a really weird neighborhood, I have no idea what kind of venue it’s going to be.”

“It’s cool. I’m sure it will be fine. I’ve been to SuperColorSuper shows before and they usually do all right,” I told the crowd.

“It’s probably going to be a dry show,” saidthe Editor.

Granted, with the free shots and the paid-for drinks and Moon Night, we were all doing pretty good booze wise. We were all also tired. While we might still be discussing what we were going to do when we grew up, it’s obvious that our age was getting to all of us. The minutes to midnight took more of a toll on us than the alcohol we had consumed.

The cab pulled up in front of a warehouse.

“This?”

I saw promotional signs.

“Yeah, look this has got to be it.” We piled out of the cab and walked down the stairs in the the obviously loud and packed basement of whatever factory. There are odd signs about everywhere for the bathrooms. The Kiterunner decided to brave a run for the bathroom while I got us all signed in. The Irish headed off with her, while the Editor headed in to grab a seat.

“Don’t you have CD’s?” asked a voice to the girl who was checking in the will call.

“I don’t think we got them.”

“They were in the bags. Do you have the bags?”

I looked up to see Dirty Beaches standing right there. The Kiterunner and the Irish were coming down the stairs just then. I pointed.

“That is who we are here to see.” He was obviously upset that his merch was not being set out and promoted; she seemed to be generally annoyed. And when I got into the venue I could see why. It was a dirty, dank, concrete subbasement of a warehouse that reminded me very much of my old art studio. It was also packed with people, smoking and drinking booze being poured at a makeshift bar. The second act was just setting up for their set.

We all pushed in and found a place to stand, crowding somehow around the bar for the set. The Irish got a beer, and while up for an adventure he looked visibly fatigued. I noticed out of the corner of my eye the Kiterunner making fast paper earplugs, and I realized I should probably join her in that (even though a Korean ENT once told me not to put things in my ears, which popped into my head at that moment). Before I had time to think about it, the Korean second act started.

No comments: