Monday, March 04, 2013

Birthday Delights

"I want to come to Daegu and hang out with you on Wednesday. It's my birthday."  My phone buzzed with the text message on a busyish workday.

"Sure. The Irish is going to Cambodia, so it's just me."

The Irish was going to Cambodia and I was going to have the house to myself for a week. Plus I loved the Artist, loved seeing her, was happy to have her come down, and flattered that she wanted to spend her birthday with me.

I decided that I wanted to do something nice for her. I also hadfor no readily apparent reasona real hankering for foie gras. (Yes, I know it's horrible but every now and againonce a year or soit seemed like a thing.) The problem for me seemed to be that she was coming here and we were not planning to go to Seoul. The challenge was finding what I wanted in Daegu.

And, magically, I managed it.

I made plans, made a reservation, and told the Artist to bring a pretty dress. On Wednesday I got a text from the Boy, warning of a taxi strike in part of Korea. It didn't affect my part of Korea, but it did affect her part of Korea. Fortunately, she managed to make it on time and we hopped in a cab where I called the restaurant and handed the driver my phone. He got directions from the restaurant and then we settled in to talk.

She had dressed prettily for the evening, including a very fancy little silver hat. I wore a black kimono-sleeved backless blouse with a necklace she had made for me. The necklace practically glowed.



https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/382315_10151251216501020_2031488605_n.jpg

"So, where are we going?"

"I wanted foie gras."

"How very un-PETA."

"Whatever."

"So, where are we going?"

"A French place. I've never been there, but it should be nice. It's French; we will have to go and see."

"Sounds fancy."

And it was. The restaurant was a course-meal place that had a very chic modern feel to it. Very high ceilings, black-and white-decor, very dim lighting. The menu included two different courses as well as entrees and other appetizers. While the courses looked interesting, we decided to order things at random and build our own course menu. What we didn't know was that one of the entrees we ordered came with courses and it took a while to balance it all out with the waitress. Even though I was very clear with her about what I wanted, it took about three tries to get it all worked out. The Artist was getting a free course because of her entree; I was getting different things but not a course menu. We thought we had it all worked out.

Interesting enough we didn't.

Rather than let me sit and wait while she had a course, they just evened it out and gave me free courses. Add that to some awesome wine and we had a very nice dinner indeed.





As we finished we were offered desert options, and the Artist went with the tea, which was brought to her in very nice, very elegant bone china.

However nice the tea, they failed to bring the small plate with the set that would be used to hold the unneeded teabag.

"They really should bring me that plate."

"Maybe they don't have it?"

"Is it wrong for me to judge the entire restaurant for not bringing it to me?"

"Not necessarily wrong..."

"If they don't bring it, I am putting this used tea bag in the middle of the table to establish my displeasure."


"If you must."

"I must," and she did. We giggled some more as we finished the tea and then decided to head downstairs to the lounge attached to the restaurant to see what it would be like.

"Should we?"

"I think we should," she said.

"I feel like a martini."

"I wonder if they have dirty martinis."

"Probably."

"Like the tea bag, if they do not do a good dirty martini I will judge the place."

"I'm wiling to risk that."

"Good, then let's go."

And with that, we finished our birthday dinner and went downstairs to the lounge. 

No comments: