Friday, March 01, 2013

Wine Buffett

"Wine buffett tonight."

"Yes."

"So excited."

"I'm excited, too!"

"See you then."

This was my conversation with the Editor, who I was meeting for wine buffet at the French restaurant in Seoul. I was really excited and looking forward to it. We had planned for the entire week going to wine buffet. Part of this was to celebrate her leaving her job and starting a new business. Exciting times. I was happy for her and wanted to be there to celebrate. I made plans.

At first, it was only going to be the two of us in Seoul, but then I had a meeting scheduled for earlier.

"I got stuck in this meeting! I'll be there as soon as I can."

"I'll get a table."

"Okay."

Some messaging back and forth happened until finally I walked out from the ending of the business meeting, grabbed a cab, and worked my way across Seoul. I was happy to finally get away. I sent a flurry of additional messages as I made my way in. When I arrived, I found the Editor, looking adorable and happy with a glass of wine already in front of her.

"Now, let us order food!"

Which we did. Most of this meeting included a great deal of business, an amusing number of stories about contacts, and how we were going to get the Irish elected for things we wanted him to get elected for. The wine buffet, though, made it all worthwhile.

The restaurant had set up a small table. On it were several different wines. We had a selection of five different reds and four different whites. The whites were nicely iced, and the reds were at the perfect temperature. The Editor was having white and I was having red.

"What time does this thing end again?"

"8:30."

"Then we better drink up."

"They don't look like they are putting it away."

"Well then."

"We will refill at right around 8:37," the Editor suggested.

"Good, good."

And we did. Of course, when 9:00 rolled around we were finished.

"They haven't put it away; do you think we should get more?"

"You do it; they seem to like you more," said the Editor.

"You think I can give it a shot?"

And so I smiled and walked over happily and filled up the glasses without thinking about it, and then wandered back over and sat down. We drank up, and decided to try it one more time. And we did. At this point, with an open wine buffet we were feeling very good. 

"Let's go back to my place and drink some more," the Editor expressed with great enthusiasm.

"I was going to take a train back to Daegu."

"Nonsense."

"I really don't mind."

"Nope; you are coming back to my place!"

"Well, I need to go to the foreign-food mart and get some cheese."

"Excellent, yes, we can do that. And I can get some chips."

So we walked, in our happy and very inebriated state to the foreign-food mart, where I got cheese and she got hummus. From there we walked back to her place, where more wine was opened, a small puppy was met, and eventuallyafter much more drinkingwe both passed out in separate disorderly states: her in her room and me on the leather couch in the kitchen.

No comments: