Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Speed of Bondage with Lochai Stine

Lochai Stine.

Let me repeat that: Lochai Stine.

I was having a fangirl moment, and I knew I was having a fangirl moment, and I was slightly embarrassed by how much of a fangirl I was right then. BossBondage had used the room as mostly a suspension space, so chairs needed to be set up for Lochai. I jumped straight in and started to help arranging the room, so excited I could barely contain myself that I was about to been in a class with Lochai Stine.

Lochai Stine is a rigger/rope genius. He’s done things with  rope that I just see and look at in awe. He’s worked on almost every major rope production you can think of, including working with Kink.com to do rigging. He’s just awesome, no two ways about it. The class I was going to be sitting in on was about speed bondage and I was beyond myself with excitement. I don’t think there was a single part of me that wasn’t excited about this. The Bard and the Electrician joined me in the room about fifteen minutes before the start.

And then Lochai walked in, kilted and ready to go. He dropped his rope bag in the center of the room, looked around, checked out the people, gave some instructions about how to arrange the chairs.

“I like to work in a circle, but I also like to have room,” he called out as we worked to get the room  arranged for him. In the end we did not make much of a perfect circle, but it didn’t matter. While we waited Lochai talked and joked with the audience members, humoring one lady who wanted to know if he wore his kilt properly (he did) and telling stories from here and there from his rigging times (one included a rubber chicken flogger), before finally, it was time to get started.

I was worried I was going to faint.

He began by explaining just how young he was when he got into rope bondage, being the tender age of six. The story included how even from the very beginning he followed some basic rules: always get consent, play safe, have fun. What started on the back of a school bus somehow managed to manifest itself into a lifelong obsession, career, etc. He had the most beautiful voice. As he talked he toyed with his rope, explaining how  many bodies he had put rope on. He had a very willing rope model for this particular set who was up and ready at his command.

The purpose of this class (which was attended by novices through practiced riggers, even Lochai’s own teacher) was to improve the speed of rope tying with a few simple tips to keep the rope flowing and not stop the scene as rope was going on. His practical tips were nothing short of stupefyingly simple while being at the same time revolutionary in my mind. I took extensive noteswhen I could stop myself from being distracted watching him flip rope back and forth, tying on a chest harness with the casual ease that some people use to tie a bathrobe. Not all the class was lecture, we practiced along with him, made notes of how things were done, got some personal feedback.

What fascinated me was how his body moved. He didn’t so  much move the rope as the rope was an extension of his hand, directed by what seemed like pure will. Each movement made rope flow across the room, across the body, between the legs, as simply as a wish or a thought. This was not someone who was practiced with his rope, this was someone for whom the rope was merely an extension of himself, a beautiful, fluid, representation of his being. This is how it felt watching it. There was a level of comfort there that comes with so much practice, it was beautiful and I was madly in love.

I learned (among other things) not to worry about knots in my rope, about the big hole, a cautionary tale of pushing rope too far (illustrated with some great references to Archer), how to properly tie my shoes (I’m still working on this one, damn it) and how to think about the body in a way that wouldn’t require you to ask someone to lift their leg when tying. Everything was practical, the entire experience was amusingly fun, and Locahi did not disappoint at all. When finished he was madly rushed; even though I would have given a left nipple to talk to him, I decided to take my fangirl elsewhere. However, I was comforted by the fact that I would be in his beginning bondage class the next day, and I simply could not wait.

1 comment:

Lochai said...

Thank you. Your words humble me.