Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Christmas Dinner at the Airport

It was not the reunion either of us had hoped for. All strung out, tired, and greasy after a fifteen-hour flight from Korea she still looked fabulous, though, my lovely Artist, and as I walked toward her I could feel all my longing filling up, I had missed her so.

She was sitting and playing on her phone, trying to figure out a way to end the madness, not seeing me until I sat down right in front of her.

And for a moment we just looked at each other.

“I’m glad you’re here.”

“So here is the plan.” As much as I wanted to take her to my house, she was going to need to be back at the airport super early in the morning to catch the flight she needed to be on. The plan would be that they would get a room at the hotel as it was next to the airport, I would feed them dinner and get them tucked in, and in the morning she would keep me on call until she knew what was going on.

In the meantime, I had sent my boy off to find a Walgreens open on Christmas and buy a bottle of whiskey.

“Is there anything else you need?”

“I need panties, but I can just wash these out. I think I can make it.”

Her husband was sent to get a room and check things in while I listened to her retell the story of what was going on and we worked on backup plans. Then I sent a list of things to buy at the drug store to the Boy, and the Artist and I talked.

“They sell whiskey at Walgreens?”

“Welcome back to America.”

After being sure they had a room, the question of dinner came up.

“As it is Christmas, I have to be honest: most things are going to be closed. We are really best off just heading over to the hotel restaurant and bar and getting what we can get. We’ll be lucky to find something open that has tables on Christmas night.”

That settled, we walked over and found some seats while the Boy called.

“All they have is Honey Jack Daniels.”

“That sounds not right. Honey Jack Daniels?”

“Honey Jack? exclaimed my lady love. "I love Honey Jack! I only discovered it like two weeks ago; it’s amazing!”

“Seems like Honey Jack is a go.”

The Boy planned to meet us at the restaurant and we went ahead and got some basic food. The Artist and her husband both decided to go for lamb burgers, while I  (being still stuffed full of duck) had a lovely dinner of a dirty martiniextra dirtyand we settled in to chat and talk about all the gossip I had missed since I left Korea.

When the Boy arrived, he handed over the Honey Jack and was fed a pizza for his efforts. Overall it was a pleasant dinner, and the lamb burgers ended up being just the thing after a terribly long time spent on a plane.

“All right; let’s get you to a room.”

I grabbed hold of her bags, and between her husband and I we made quick work of getting upstairs and getting into a room.

“Now, this is the rest of the evening: you are going to undress, possibly have a soak in the tub or if not at least a shower, relax, drink some of that whiskey, and get some sleep. No more worrying as there is not much else you can do today.”

“Yes, that is the plan.”

I also knew she would work with the Koreans on trying to make sure she would definitely get out tomorrow, but I worried less about that. With a kiss that was all too short and a desire to stay, I left them both and wound my way downstairs, where I bought my boy a chocolate cake and found him waiting by the escalator.

“Thank you.”

“You know it was no problem.”

“I know, but I love you for it anyway.”

And with that, we hopped back into Delilah, who had now managed to have rather an adventure herself, and hit the road a final time for our own house, where, after that day I’d had, I promptly collapsed into bed and stayed there until I had to get up for work. I dreamed of the Artist and how I would see her again shortly

No comments: